We get it – life doesn’t stop just because the sun goes down. And while we get to enjoy nice long days during the Canadian summer, it can start getting dark by mid-afternoon in the winter.
This means that it’s very important to ensure you know how to drive properly at night. Whether you’re a novice driver or have been driving for years, it’s important to make sure you’re comfortable and confident driving on the road at night.
These are our top safety tips for driving at night:
- Leave plenty of space between you and the driver in front of you.
- Make sure you’re not too tired while driving.
- Keep a roadside emergency kit.
- Get your car cleaned.
- Use high beams appropriately.
And of course, make sure your Markham car insurance is up to date! At Marathon Insurance, we’re here to help you with all of your Markham car insurance needs.
Leave Plenty of Space
It can be tempting to go as fast as you can when you’re driving at night – after all, it’s generally less busy than it is during the day. However, there are two very good reasons to make sure you still leave adequate space between you and the driver in front of you:
- Just as during the day, the driver in front of you could need to stop suddenly – whether that’s for a traffic jam or even an animal crossing the road.
- If you drive too close to the car in front of you, you could blind the driver, especially if your high beams are on.
Just leaving enough space can help ensure you don’t get in an accident and avoid needing to make a claim on your Markham car insurance.
Make Sure You’re Not Too Tired
Another thing to be aware of when you’re driving at night is to avoid driving when you’re too tired. If you’re tired, your reflexes will be dulled and you are at a higher risk of having an accident.
So what should you do if you feel tired while driving? If possible, pull over and stop for the night. But if you can’t do that, you can:
- Drink some coffee.
- Roll down the window for some fresh air.
- Put on some music or talk radio to help keep yourself alert and engaged.
Following these tips will help ensure you stay safe on the road.
Carry a Roadside Emergency Kit
Another way you can help keep yourself safe while driving at night is to carry a roadside emergency kit. The easiest thing to do is buy a pre-packaged one from a hardware store or similar place. If you’re planning on putting one together yourself, you need to purchase items like:
- Jumper cables
- First aid kit
- Reflective triangles
- Snacks and water
A good roadside emergency kit can help ensure that you have the resources you need if you run into any issues at night.
Get Your Car Cleaned
This may sound strange to you – after all, what does a clean car have to do with driving safely at night? Simply put, a cleaner car means better visibility. These are the two areas you need to focus on:
- Make sure your windshields are clean as dirty ones can scatter light and make dealing with any glare harder.
- Also, make sure your headlights are clean – if they aren’t, this can decrease your visibility and cause glare issues for other drivers. While you’re making sure your headlights are clean, do a test to make sure all your car lights are working correctly.
Use High Beams Appropriately
High beams can increase your safety at night since they increase how far you can see. When using them, keep in mind:
- High beams should be used sparingly as they can blind other drivers.
- High beams are best suited for rural or open roads where there aren’t many other vehicles.
- Don’t use high beams when driving behind another vehicle.
- If you’re going to pass a vehicle going the other way, dim your high beams until the car passes.
How can Marathon Insurance help me with Markham car insurance?
If you’re looking for car insurance in Markham, then we’re here to help you at Marathon Insurance. We’re insurance brokers who will shop around to ensure you get the best price on Markham car insurance.
When you contact us to learn about Markham car insurance, we can tell you about:
- The different types of Markham car insurance we offer, including coverage for classic cars, motorcycles, RVs and trailers.
- Everything you need to know about different types of Markham car insurance coverage, such as:
- Direct compensation coverage. This provides coverage for damage to your vehicle or property done by an insured motorist.
- Liability coverage. This coverage is critical. It provides you with the financial protection you need if you’re held liable for any kind of damage – such as injuries or property damage – to other people.
- Accident benefits coverage. This coverage provides you with financial compensation for various issues associated with an accident, including lost income and medical bills.
- Additional coverage options, including coverage for damage due to theft or vandalism.
- What information we need from you to get an accurate quote for your Markham car insurance.
We’ll shop around to ensure that you get the Markham car insurance coverage you need at a price that works for you.
Stay Safe Driving At Night
Now you know our top five tips for driving safely at night:
- Don’t tailgate – leave space!
- Never drive if you’re too tired to focus correctly.
- Buy a roadside emergency kit.
- Make sure your windshields and headlights are clean.
- Only use high beams as necessary.
And of course, make sure you’ve got the right Markham car insurance in case anything does go wrong. At Marathon Insurance, we’ll answer any questions you have about Markham car insurance coverage and find a car insurance package that works for you.
Contact Us About Markham Car Insurance
For more information about car insurance, call Marathon Insurance at 844-429-0837 or contact us here.